GoPro recently announced a new platform called GoPro Labs. Where they allow users to test out un-released camera features. GoPro Labs is found in the GoPro support community section on their website. At its launch, there are just two new features with the intent of having more to come in the future.
Currently, these features are only for the GoPro flagship HERO8 Black. The first of these two new features are Reelsteady Go integration. A video stabilization software company that GoPro acquired in March of 2020. The second is QR based codes that unlock new camera controls. To get access to the GoPro Labs features, all you have to do is update your HERO8 Black to the GoPro Labs firmware. You will need to use the manual firmware update. GoPro stating that “Many of these features originated from internal hackathons.”
One of the way that these features have been used was on a Northrup Grumman space launch. The GoPro Tech behind the QR code feature, David Newman worked with the team at Northrop Grumman to capture the resupply mission launch for the International Space Station. The teams issue was the GoPro cameras had to be positioned 72 hours prior to the launch. With no contact with the cameras until after launch.
With the GoPro HERO8 cameras having no external control and out of WiFi range to control via the GoPro app. They also had no external power, they were going to run on in-camera batteries. With GoPro Lab’s firmware, cameras set to power on just minutes before the launch and start recording automatically. This was all configured using a QR Code, days before launch.
GoPro Labs Features
ReelSteady GO Optimization:
The GoPro Labs firmware optimizes HERO8 Black’s in-camera rolling shutter correction to be more suitable for ReelSteady Go stabilization. This will help insure users get the best post-stabilization out of your HERO8 Black camera.
QR code-enabled features include:
- Wake-up timer for remote start capture
- Save favorite modes as a visual preset/QR code
- Motion detection start/stop capture video when something starts moving.
- Speed start/stop: use GPS to determine your speed and automatically start capture at a defined speed
- Camera scripting: shoot a time-lapse of a construction/building site but only during daylight hours.
- Personalize your GoPro with owner information
- Chapters: for fewer files in long video captures. Increasing the file size limit from default 4GB to 12GB.